5 hours of sleep and the bathroom mirror

There are days that I don’t really feel like going out, especially when I wake up in the morning and the bathroom mirror tells me I don’t look okay. I guess that’s the male counterpart of the female’s bad-hair-days. Like you can’t make the mirror say you’re okay no matter how hard you try to smile in many different ways – in my case, trying to smile like Sam Milby and Carlos Agassi to no luck.

This morning was one of those. It started with this light-headed feeling that lasted the whole day. I am so used to sleeping 5 hours. And the fact that I had my 8 hours the night before last shouldn’t be a problem at all. Then the bathroom mirror was so terrible that I wanted to buy a new one. I looked the same as when I looked at the mirror yesterday, by the way, but I really couldn’t point out what was wrong or different.

Then mom told me my light-headedness was due to lack of sleep.

Books tell us that sleeping 5 or less hours a night is unhealthy, will even increase the risk of high blood pressure. They have even put 5 hours under the “lack of sleep” category. I am not saying the books are wrong, but then what if I already feel okay after 5 hours and that sleeping longer than that makes me groggy? I really think this “lack of sleep” thing should vary from person to person; that it all depends on an individual’s feeling of “sleep satisfaction” or “sleep deprivation”, whether he had 8 or only 5 hours of sleep, that we can tell if he lacked sleep or not. After all, what’s not enough for Juan may already be good enough for Pedro.

In the case of the bathroom mirror, I don’t think it’s related at all with this lack of sleep issue. If my light-headedness this morning was due to sleep deprivation, I just have to state the fact that that mirror’s meanness had hit me even on the days that I had my 8 hours.

I’m definitely buying a new mirror on my next trip to the mall.

On other notes, here's a cellphone video of my friend Micoy (Michael Jinero Salazar) performing with his band. This was his last performance before he (temporarily) stopped being with the band to give way to his midterm and final exams. The video and audio are not so clear but i'm posting them, nonetheless.



0 comments :: 5 hours of sleep and the bathroom mirror

Related Posts with Thumbnails