Social Networking Movie

Social networking is so "in" today that kids (from as young as 6) and adults have an account (or two) to either keep in touch and up-to-date with their biological friends, have contact with their virtual ones, or simply gain more friends virtually. Many (whom I know personally) don't like the idea of these social networking sites, saying most are posers and pretentious, and that they rather keep their friends biological rather than virtual.

I was introduced to Friendster by young friends in 2002, during the early stages of the site. I made an account but didn't do much about it until last year when the people I play with in Ran Online began exchanging e-mail addresses which serve as their Friendster identity. After much prodding from my online game friends, I started adding them to my friend list and eventually found it fun to be updated on what my "friends" are up to and quite happy when I receive comments or messages from them.

Another networking site, Myspace, came out a year after Friendster was born. I also made an account during its early stage and added a few friends but just like what happened to my Friendster account when I first signed up, I stopped signing in.

Then Facebook came out in 2004. It was created at Harvard by Mark Zuckerberg and eventually became a hit. Other same sites emerged such as Multiply, Hi-5, etc. But a pattern emerged. Friendster and Multiply became a hit with Asians while Facebook and Myspace became the networking sites more favored by the caucasians.

But sometimes, the good intentions of these networking sites are put in the bad light by some of its users. Remember the Myspace hoax? Some also eventually meet up and become partners for life while some are being kidnapped through Friendster.

Will these points be brought up in the movie Aaron Sorkin is writing? Or will it be just about the evolution of Facebook?

0 comments :: Social Networking Movie

Related Posts with Thumbnails