Product Review: Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove

I'm still a little pumped up from the run I had yesterday. Keeping an active lifestyle is indeed good. But there are some things you need to have to indulge in certain activities.

Like footwear.

139_0010 You see, you can't run without shoes, and that's the first thing I bought when I decided to try running. I'm just so lucky I ended up buying Merrell's Barefoot Trail Glove because it's so comfortable to use. Honestly, I bought it for its looks (and the fact that I can also use it for hikes). It's also something I can use not only for my outdoor activities, it looks good with jeans and casual shorts as well. Aside from that, it doesn't look as big/bulky as other running shoes. I'm so thin and big shoes make me feel like I'm channeling Ronald McDonald.

I was surprised, though, that the good looks of Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove is just an icing on the cake. The real wonder of the pair is really the comfort one gets when using it. Something I didn't realize when I fitted it at Merrell Concept Store in Market! Market! You really have to take it outside to see how it works.

I first wore it for a test run at the gym. But in case you're wondering, no I don't lift weights. The only machine I use at the gym is the treadmill because I need to improve on my cardio. If others complain of their legs and thighs during climbs, I complain of always being out-of-breath.

Anyway, I wore my Barefoot the first time without socks because I forgot to bring one. And after an hour on the treadmill wearing the pair for the first time, I didn't get any blisters. I also think it's meant to be worn without socks. Barefoot is supposed to make you feel barefoot. And without socks, you can feel the air going through the shoes to your feet. The feeling that first time at the gym was really comfortable... and "breezy."

My Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove was put to extreme test during my Buntot Palos adventure with K last Sunday, July 24. The trail was so muddy due to the previous days' rains. There were also parts where I had no choice but to burry my feet in the mud.

Barefoot felt slippery at first, but I realized later on that it's really not. Because it's not designed like other shoes, you have to develop a specific stride that I found out later on was taught in the Barefoot videos.

When treading on rocks, you can actually bend your toes to help with your balance like you'd do when you have no shoes on. Now that's something you can't do with other pairs.

On river crossing, you don't have to worry about wet shoes because water drains out from the side mesh of the shoes and it dries easily when aired.

me on merrell

There's just a catch with hiking on Barefoot, though. It doesn't provide much foot protection from the top and sides because of the thin and soft materials used. You can't actually use it on climbs with class 9 trail or the likes. It's best used for trail running and day hikes to keep your feet comfortable.

I used my Barefoot again yesterday when I went for a run with K and EJ. And I guess it's the one I'd be using on a fun run we're joining on August 11.

*second photo courtesy of K

0 comments :: Product Review: Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove

Related Posts with Thumbnails