Just Say No

It had been almost a week, and he's still pleading.

The phone rang the minute I arrived home last Saturday from an appointment with Doctor Erich. It was Nicolas, my 18-year-old friend who mostly becomes my alalay (I call him whenever I go shopping or I need someone to pay my taxes and bills). And I knew it the minute he said "Hello Kuya" that he needed something from me. It's the tone of voice we associate with someone troubled and needs help; the kind most of us use in a prelude to asking a favor. I found out I was right when he asked, "Kuya may pera ka?"

Instead of answering his question, I asked where he was. He's in his girlfriend's house. A hunch formed in my head, and judging by the tone of his voice, I knew it's not far from happening. But then he told me his girlfriend was sick and he had to take her to the doctor. The question of the whereabouts of his girlfriend's parents was asked. I can't exactly recall now what Nicolas' answer was but simply put, the parents were not around. Worrying about the girlfriend, and worrying more about the fact that Niki might be blamed should something happen to the girl when he's the only one there to save her, I asked what happened. And then I found out my hunch was true. The girl was pregnant.

I told him I had no money, and advised him to keep the baby, that it's a sin to abort it blah blah. He last called me yesterday, still asking to borrow money. I was actually quite relieved to know that the girl still had the baby in her womb. And just like what I'm doing, I hope no one lends them money. It's not being selfish, but helping them not to sin more, and be more responsible of their actions.

I had once been an ally to that, some 6-7 years ago. My then bestfriend went to my office and cried while hugging me. He and his girlfriend were 2 years into finishing college, and they were not prepared to have the baby. I couldn't say no to someone who had done so much for me; I couldn't say no to someone I consider as a brother. I couldn't let him down. I went with him to Quiapo. It was still vivid in my mind. We even went to McDonald's Plaza Miranda before going home. He let me keep the prescription for fear of anyone finding it in his (or his girlfriend's) house.

I was wrong. I shouldn't have done that. It is something I consider as my greatest sin up to now, something that could hinder my path to heaven come judgment day.

And I don't wanna do it again. Even if Nicolas say I let him down.

0 comments :: Just Say No

Related Posts with Thumbnails