Why Can't You Visit Us?


Daniel Henney, who Filipinos first saw in the Tagalized version of Korea's tv series "My Name is Kim Samsoon," together with Hugh Jackman, will go to Korea to promote X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Makes me wonder why they don't come here to promote.

But really, why can't Hollywood stars come to the Philippines to promote their movies, when most of us Filipinos just love them. LOL! Really, Hollywood movies are a hit here in the Philippines, sometimes more than our locally made movies. I confess I rarely watch Tagalog movies, only when its critically-acclaimed (like Ploning) or isn't mainly a kilig love story.

Perhaps I'm really not into mainstream. While everyone was out watching You Changed My Life, I couldn't even find myself considering watching it. The last drama-love story Tagalog movie I watched that I really liked was Carlos Siguion-Reyna's 1991 film Hihintayin Kita sa Langit. I watched it through the recommendation of a friend, who also lent me the VCD a few years back. Watching it made me wonder why Siguion-Reyna stopped making films. Or did he? It also raised a question of why modern-day filmmakers won't make films of such story lines.

It was so well-made the characters will stick in your memory. Even if I saw it years ago, I still remember scenes of Gabriel and Carmina so in love with each other. I'm not really a fan of Richard Gomez's acting (and hosting) abilities but the fact that he made the character of Gabriel so unforgettable perhaps mean that he's a really effective
actor. Well, Dawn Zulueta as Carmina gave a flawless performance. A beautiful, helpless, fragile lady so in love with Gabriel but can't escape the cruelties of her brother.

Oh I really hope Reyna Films make movies again. I'm sure those who like Hollywood movies will patronize Tagalog movies with good story lines. By the way, isn't the lack of it made them turn their attention to foreign movies?

Speaking of unforgettable characters, there are two more that I can't forget. Victor and Alma from Andres Cristobal Cruz's "Ang Tondo Man May Langit Din." I'm kinda sure those who read the book can't forget them either.

Photo Source: k-popped.com

0 comments :: Why Can't You Visit Us?

Related Posts with Thumbnails